commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [math] Random generator
Date Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:48:18 GMT
Kim van der Linde wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just digged in and found that you use the standard
> random generator of SUN. Is that an inproved version
> of the 1.0.2 version, which is a very very basic
> pseudo-pseudo-pseudo random generator. Any help?

Yes, it would be great to include some additional PRNGs as part of [math].
  If you have (unencumbered) robust implementations with good performance
or are interested in developing them, I think this would make a good
addition to [math].  The current implementation of the RandomData
interface supports pluggable generators for the secure methods (using the
SecureRandom support for that) and also encapsulates the getRandom()
method that is used everywhere to get a PRNG, so it would be easy to plug
in alternative PRNGs.