commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" & a "dev" email list.
Date Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:01:22 GMT
This is the type of discussion I'm referring too. Here is a perfect
example of why commons components would benefit from separate "users"
lists. Users are not interested in the same discussion issues as
developers, the commons users list is ill adapted to the cross
pollination "developer" paradigm. Commons Users wish to discuss issues
related specifically to the component they are using while Commons
developers wish to maintain maximum interaction with other Commons
components to optimize code reuse and experience.

Lets be clear here. I do not want to see math "development" issues occur
on a list separate from the other components. I do not want to see any
Commons Component start is own "dev list". Nor do I want to see math
separate from the commons. I want to see math user issues on a separate
list, in fact I think any Commons project should have the option to
produce their own users list as a means to provide user support for the
component independent of the other components.

What I'm talking about is "User Support", which should be of great
importance to the community, as important as developer interaction.

After a great deal of discussion, maybe this subject should be voted on
to bring the subject to completion. Otherwise, it will just get more heated.

-Mark

Kim van der Linde wrote:

>--- Martin Cooper <mfncooper@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>It seems that you are missing the single most
>>important facet of Jakarta Commons here - community.
>>

>>Commons is one community,
>>

>A community from whom? Whom are in it? Only hard-core
>developers? Or the developers and users at large?
>Apparently, I have a different idea about e-mail lists
>than most here. So be it.

Mark R. Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center