commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:25:11 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> +1 to a request for Jakarta-Math-Discuss list. I'd like to be
> Apache-Math-Discuss, but that might cause issues, cf the Python mail list
> request a while back.

Sorry, but I am still -0 to splitting discussion or development of [math]
from j-c.

> Why I like this: It is not tied to the commons-math code, but to the
> community that the commons-math code wants to join. I expect [math] to be
> using it for math discussion with commons-dev for Java related dev issues
> (such as maven, site etc) and releases. Average Java joes would still come
> to commons-user for [math] questions, so commons-math would have to be
> covering that too.
>
> I said +1 in that I'm prepared to go onto infrastructure and ask for
> this etc, get the PMC to ask for it or whatever.

Do we have jelly-user-discuss, digester-user-discuss,
collections-user-discuss etc.?  I agree with Martin that j-c is one
community and I see no compelling reason to split [math] off and some good
reasons not to.  As a user of multiple commons components, I monitor both
commons-dev and commons-user.  As a commons committer, I try to help out
on both of these as well.  There are *lots* of benefits to having the
additional eyeballs in the j-c community that I, at least, am not willing
to give up. I also strongly disagree with the implication that we can
separate discussion of "Java-related dev issues" from math-related ones.
Commons-math is a Java math library.  Splitting the discussion in this way
is like saying that [digester] or [jelly] should discuss XML-related
issues on "digester-user-discuss" or "jelly-user-discuss" or that
Stephen's recent post about Tree structures in [collections] should be on
"collections-user-discuss."   This is not good for the community, IMHO.
It also threatens to move us away from the code-centric model that makes
Apache work (again, IMHO).

Phil