commons-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:03:41 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> For me, [math] goes beyond the role of a simple library of common code.

IT would be interesting to hear what you (and others) think
about the further evolution of [math]. I also really like
to know what current users of [math] currently do with the
library, and what they expect from further development.

 From my point of view, [math] provides currently mainly basic
to moderatly advanced functionality to do descriptive and
analytical statistics. The algebra and solver packages are
more or less utilities for this purpose.

Building on this, obvious development directions would include
graphical data representation, like GnuPlot or JFreeChart (BTW
there aren't many good plotting/charting packages, and various
initiatives in ASF communities have stalled. Why???), higher
level functionality for statistical tests, or going deeper
into the simulation domain.

What do you think?

J.Pietschmann