commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2004 02:41:10 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
>> Related to this is that the developers and advisors will be drawn from a
>> different (less java/programmer centric position).
>

> I respectfully disagree here.  We do need some targeted help with
> numerics, but what we really need is Java developers with math
> proficiency and need (for math functionality).

I think java is easy to learn, numerics on the otherhand is a more
difficult subject. Yes we need mathematicians with a knowledge of java,
but I'd take algorithm advice from mathematician with no or little java
experience over an experienced java programmer with little mathematical
ability.

>> Secondly, there is no reason why [math] could not be implemented in
>> C, C# or
>> another language as far as I can see. (There is no general rule here,
>> [lang]
>> and [collections] are java focussed, but [codec] could be
>> multi-language.
>

> I disagree.  I see [math] as very Java-focussed.  The whole point of
> [math] is to provide ASF-licensed pure Java implementations of basic
> math functionality.

Jakarta Commons Math (yes, very java focused), other languages could be
part of a larger math TLP, but even if a math TLP formed, the commons
math library would still exist and contain much of what it does already.

>> One option that could be considered in to use the package name
>> org.apache.math for your 1.0 release even if you are still hosted in
>> commons. It avoids problems later.
>

> I would prefer to keep commons in the package name.  Later, if we toss
> out the current PROOPOSAL
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/proposal.html) and try to
> become an "Apache math library" a new (multi-language) project could
> be started in the incubator, using some commons-math components for
> Java implementations.  Even then, I would see commons-math as a
> valuable commons component.

I agree with Phil.

>> So, consider me -0 to a commons-math-user at the moment.
>>
>> Stephen

Yet, they are way too obtuse for such discussion oriented around the
Commons Math Library. Lets not get completely out of scope here, this is
simply a list for Commons Math Users to discuss issues with the
developers, a support and discussion list, again only because the other
lists are too obtuse in the other direction (twards development).

> I don't know what you mean by "non-developer" users, since our users
> are by definition Java developers.

non-developers in that they are more focused in the area of mathematics
and less in the are software development. I know allot of students,
professors and scientists who work with java and would not classify
themselves as "developers".

> Discussion here should focus on issues related to the [math] code
> base.  From time to time, this discussion will naturally include some
> math content.  Since we are trying to stick to established algorithms
> and basic functionality, I would actually see it as a red flag if we
> ventured off into extended mathematical discussions.

I somewhat agree, yet math discussions are where good ideas arise from.

> For the reasons that I mentioned above, I do not want [math] to be
> split out from j-c. I will cut a RC for 1.0 this weekend and I would
> prefer that we focus on getting the release out rather than how the
> user list works at this time.
>
> Phil

100% agree with you on this one. Lets get that release out. :-)

--
Mark R. Diggory
Software Developer