commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:21:12 GMT
Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> The problem with Apache Math is that it's a big leap to take. Mark needs
>> to build community before he should really try to guide [math] to that
>> point.
>>

> I agree
>
>> That's why I'm +0. The hope that a commons-math-user list would help the
>> community to be built. I do think it's unnecessary under our usual
>> reasons
>> for a separate mail list, but we also all seem to agree that Apache Math
>> as a long term end-goal is not out of the question trying to foster a
>> separate mail list would help Mark guide it there.
>>
>> I'd also suggest that 3 months after creating it, Mark would have to
>> justify the creation by showing that community has begun to grow.
>>

> I think math could accept such an agreement. What would be a
> justification, "list activity" above a certain threshold?

I am still -0 to this. I do not see the need for the external list and I
would like to keep commons-math in j-c.  A separate and different Apache
Math with a different vision and scope might make sense to some people,
but I would like to keep developing the current code base here, with the
current scope.

Phil