commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:22:02 GMT
Do you get my argument though?

I'm suggesting that creating the new list will help promote maths
'non-developer' user base who are interested in algorithms and stability
(not because the load is too high). Individuals who are not interested
in usage of other commons components per se. Individuals like Kim or
David (or anyone from the jama or colt lists), who may not necessarily
be developing Apache code, but could supply excellent discussion on the
subject area. It would really help to promote the project and attract a
many individuals who are knowledgeable in the field of mathematics, thus
offering expert feedback to help improve the product. A math library is
a much different beast than a collections api, discovery or bean
utilities; certain standards are expected. I want a list where such
things can be discussed without risking being bothersome to the commons
developer/user lists with overly abstract discussion on mathematics and
not overwhelming such math users with discussion from other commons
sub-groups.

I think providing a user friendly environment is important here, and
someone barking "use a filter stupid, its not our fault" is really not
very user friendly, ASF has the facilities and can do better.

-Mark

Phil Steitz wrote:

>Sorry, but I still am not seeing the need here.  There is very little commons-user traffic
related to [math].  My understanding is that the http-client split was driven by high traffic.
 Commons-dev and commons-user benefit from a large community who comment / make suggestions
on multiple components.  I am opposed to splitting j-c components into separate lists / projects
unless the traffic reaches the "bothersome" level.

keep commons-user (which is not that high traffic, actually) consolidated.  People can easily
filter, as they can on commons-dev as well.

>	>Phil
>	>
>
>	Phil, Its unclear to what your agreeing? Hen was +0. Your comment sounds
>	like your not wanting it (ie -0).
>
>	I strongly think the reason that commons-user is low traffic is that
>	users do not want to get email for stuff they are not interested in nor
>	do they want to manage complex filter rules on their email, so they
>	never join it.
>
>	Believe me, I've worked IT support for university professors, sometimes
>	I'm very surprised they even know what an email account is...let alone
>	filtering.
>
>	-Mark
>
>	--
>	Mark R. Diggory