commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:21:45 GMT

matthew.hawthorne wrote:

>> Believe me, I've worked IT support for university professors,
>> sometimes I'm very surprised they even know what an email account
>> is...let alone filtering.
> That's funny.  But, if they don't know what filtering is... what are
> the chances that they
> know what a mailing list is?
[snicker] o.k. you got me on that gross generalization ;-)

> I don't want a bunch of uninteresting messages in my mailbox either,
> so I just use gmane.
> Maybe this would be a good suggestion for these professor types?

if they don't know what an email account is, how are they going to know
what a news list is? ;-)

Gmane is cool, I might start using it as well now that I've looked at a
few apache lists in it. I think ultimately though, the simplest solution
is a user email list, then other tools like Gmane etc could be used on
it as well.

Mark R. Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center