commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:58:27 GMT

>On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>

>>> Would it be wise to establish a Jakarta Math project outside of commons
>>> to support these sort of listserv interactions with users, even though
>>> its unclear what code would be housed there? Or should we only start a
>>> parent project if we have non-commons specific code to add to it and
>>> just creat a email list specific for math users? I'm not sure what would
>>> be the best approach.
>>>
>>> -Mark
>>

>I'd suggest going to the commons-math-user mail list, and seeing what
>happens. If the community grows, then we can go in the direction the
>community's makeup suggests.
>
>Hen

+1, Following a path similar to HttpClient.

> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
>I agree with Henri on this -- I do not see the need at present and I would like to keep
commons-user (which is not that high traffic, actually) consolidated.  People can easily filter,
as they can on commons-dev as well.

>Phil

Phil, Its unclear to what your agreeing? Hen was +0. Your comment sounds
like your not wanting it (ie -0).

I strongly think the reason that commons-user is low traffic is that
users do not want to get email for stuff they are not interested in nor
do they want to manage complex filter rules on their email, so they
never join it.

Believe me, I've worked IT support for university professors, sometimes
I'm very surprised they even know what an email account is...let alone
filtering.

-Mark

--
Mark R. Diggory