commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:08:06 GMT
Hello all,

After some thought, I've come to the conclusion that Commons should
setup a separate user lists for the Math group. While I am in agreement
that the Commons is best served by sharing a "Development" list, I've
come to the conclusion that it is not best served when it comes to
"User" lists. Take the following example for instance:

The Math group attracts both external user/developers who specifically
are Mathematicians/Statisticians. This external group is a specialized
niche of individuals who are interested solely in how the math project
can benefit them. They are interested in how the algorithms are
implemented and the stability of those algorithms. This means that they
are not going to want to participate in the list if they are flooded
with emails about every other subproject in the commons, they are not
going to want to have to deal with filtering the emails coming to the
list and some may not be very knowledgeable in this area either. These
are individuals who want to track the status of the Math project only,
interacting to provide better algorithms and approaches, a subject
matter which users of other commons components may not have an interest
in, so flooding the commons user list with these discussion wouldn't be
beneficial either.

Assuming the lowest common denominator of "filter your messages or go
away" is not a positive stance to take when it comes to users, users
with which an "Open Source Project" needs to maximize its involvement
with. I think we would like to setup a separate email list for the math
project with the focus being it only is a user list oriented toward
discussion on how to use the math library and recommendations for
algorithm improvement.

With this in mind, I recommend that math be able to establish a user
list for users to discuss these sort of math issues.

-Mark

--
Mark R. Diggory
Software Developer