commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" & a "dev" email list.
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:30:24 GMT
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:20:37 -0700 (PDT), Kim van der Linde
<kimvdlinde@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "matthew.hawthorne" <matth@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Kim van der Linde wrote:
> > > I think I am a typical math only user and
> > developer
> > > and I just joined the e-mail lists. The last days,
> > > seriously contemplated on leaving both lists
> > because
> > > of the use amout of completly irrelevant bullshit
> > that
> > > passes by every morning and during the day on my
> > > computer. I have better things to do.
> >

> > Maybe irrelevant to you, but not irrelevant to the
> > rest of us...
>
> Partially agree...
>
> But now I have to put up with a lot of junk that I
> just have to delete, while having two lists for you
> would not make a difference in the amount of mails....

It seems that you are missing the single most important facet of
Jakarta Commons here - community. Commons is one community, and
splitting off one component into separate mailing lists also splits
the community. This has already been demonstrated by the HttpClient
component.

You are, of course, free to choose whether or not you want to be a
part of the Jakarta Commons community. But what you seem to be
suggesting is that we should split our community into two because you
don't want to set up a filter to split off your Math mail from the
rest. That's not acceptable to me.

--
Martin Cooper