commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Johan Lindquist" <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VFS] FileSystem close
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:42:50 GMT
On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:14:34 +0200, Mario Ivankovits <imario@apache.org>
wrote:

>> It would be too much though to keep track of each reference to the
>> file  (per resolveFile call) and not just the "opened" files or?
>
> Hmmm ... why do you mean this might help much to solve the concurrency.

Sorry, slightly mis-understood this - it wouldn't help with the close call
at all ... Overlooked the fact that the close call is a separate issue
 from the release resources ...

My thoughts were more to make sure that the underlying resources weren't
released until all resolved files had been closed, to save having to
re-connect the resource (just because the filesystem was closed before the
other thread could attach it).  This could possibly then be tracked in the
resolveFile method implementation.

> Currently i think about extending the fileObject to hold certain data
> separate for each thread - and adding some synchronize()'s to VFS at all.

Would you try to implement some sort of locking with that too? :)

Johan