commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rami Ojares" <rami.oja...@elisa.fi>
Subject Re: [VFS] FileSystem close
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:27:05 GMT
> Hi,
>
> I asked about this a little while ago - when you resolve a file for a SFTP
> url, the SFTP file system maintains the session until the file manager is
> closed - the solution you propsed (see below) works well, but this will
> not work if I try to use this in a multi-threaded environment.
>
> What are the general thoughts about this?

One sftp filesystem keeps at most one idle connection open.
So it is like connection pool whose max size is one.

Now you have multiple threads accessing the same sftp server
but you would not like to have an idle connection open, right?

One possible direction to take would be to develop the pooling
mechanism (maybe use commons-pooling?) and give an option to the
sftp provider pooling=true|false.

Would this solve your problem?

- rami