commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] dependencies for 1.6 release
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:09:55 GMT
On 22 Jul 2004, at 01:27, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 08:54, robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> one important issue are the dependencies: in particular, disposing
>> with
>> the commons collection dependency (which prevents compatibility with
>> both 2.x and 3.x).
>>
>> i can see two possibilities: either we upgrade the beanutils
>> dependency
>> to the latest release (which contains the collections classes that
>> digester depends on) or we keep the current beanutils dependency and
>> add the necessary classes (as a temporary measure until the
>> appropriate
>> methods are deprecated).
>>
>> originally, i'd assumed that we'd automatically just upgrade the
>> beanutils dependency but (previously) stephen made some good arguments
>> for added the classes where necessary. anyone else have any opinions?
>
> Do you have a reference to Stephen's arguments?

not to hand.

> I'm not generally a great supporter of binary compatibility. I think if
> you intend to ship a new release of a library, then you really need a
> testing cycle. And if you're doing that, a recompile is no big deal.

i see binary compatibility as absolutely crucial for deep libraries
such as digester. digester is in the root classpath of many containers.
this means that contained applications can only use binary compatible
versions of the library (unless they plan to recompile the application,
that is). so, releasing a binary incompatible version of digester is
likely to cause real pain for many users.

in fact, for digester two, it might be better to use a different
package name (digester2, say) to ensure that the two versions of the
library can be used together in the same container without causing
compatibility problems.

> Unless we roll back Craig McClanahan's changes to use a local
> ArrayStack
> implementation, we have binary incompatibilities between Digester 1.5
> and 1.6 anyway (as described in the current release notes).

my plan is to roll back craig's changes (on the release branch) and
ship with either the new beanutils dependency (containing the classes
digester depends on) or to ship with copies of the collection packaged
classes we need (as beanutils does).

> So I'm currently in favour of upgrading the BeanUtils dependency.
> However I'd like to read Stephen's arguments....

i don't have an url to hand but the general point is that by shipping
the classes in the collections package we need (as part of the digester
jar) we maximize the choice of dependencies since this would allow
users to use digester with previous beanutils releases.

- robert