commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] dependencies for 1.6 release
Date Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:02:28 GMT
On 25 Jul 2004, at 17:37, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:07:53 +1200, Simon Kitching
> <simon@ecnetwork.co.nz> wrote:

<snip>

>> Do you know of any containers that actually do use Digester and make
>> it
>> visible to containee code?
>
> Good question.

definitely know? no

i do seem to vaguely recall that some early versions of weblogic or
websphere do (i don't recall which it is or whether it's both). in
general, classloader issues used to be common with early containers and
less for more modern ones. i suspect that the only way we'd find out
whether this is a real issue would be to cut our first binary
incompatible digester release and then see how many users complained. i
don't know of any modern container that exposes digester through it's
root classloader.

> But, regardless of the answer, wasn't the original question in this
> thread related to whether a new Digester release should specify a new
> BeansUtil release as a dependency (and thus allow it to not require
> commons-collections)?  I still think that's a good idea, and have lost
> track of the current thinking on that topic.

the question was: which way should be commons-collections dependency be
removed. i offered two options:

1 demand the latest beanutils version
2 allow whichever beanutils version but include the collection packaged
classes as part of the digester release

i originally thought that option 1 would be best but i've been
partially persuaded by stephen that 2 has some advantages (it has the
greatest range of compatibility).

- robert