commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Exceptions thrown my solvers
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:45:02 GMT
+1 on a) sounds good.

Phil Steitz wrote:

>Currently, UnivariateRealSolver.solve advertises a generic MathException, which is thrown
by implementations in one of two cases:

>1) the solver fails to converge
>2) the UnivariateRealFunction throws a MathException when evaluating one of the iterates
>
>It would be better to distinguish these failures. Logically, condition 1) should result
in a ConvergenceException.  Also, UnivariateRealFunction.value should either advertise a more
specific exception (e.g. FunctionEvaluationException) or throw runtime exceptions (many could
be ArithmeticExceptions) instead of checked exceptions.  So...I would like to do one of the
following:

>a) Add a (checked) FunctionEvalutationException (including an argument property, holding
the value of the "bad" argument), change UnivariateRealFunction.value to advertise this and
change UnivariateRealSolver.solve to throw FunctionEvaluationException, ConvergenceException

>b) Remove the throws from UnivariateRealFunction (assume runtime exceptions will be thrown
/ passed up) and change UnivariateRealSolver.solve to just advertise ConvergenceException.

>I am OK with either of these, though I think a) may be a little better since it could
provide more information.  I guess we could also consider c)--same as a) but FunctionEvaluationException
extends RuntimeException.

>If there are no objections, I will proceed with option a).

Mark R. Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu