commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: site update process?
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:34:43 GMT
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

> OK, so "maven site" will actually upload the site to the server?
>
> Specifically (all from jakarta-commons/commons-build):
>
>  1. run "maven site:generate" and confirm the local copy looks OK
>  2. run "maven site" which will both generate and deploy the site
>
> Is that right?

Pretty much. It would probibly be wise to instert a "backup step" before
deploying just for easy recovery if anything goes wrong. while this
could be automated, it may be wiser for the person to physically backup
the /www/jakarta.apache.org/commons directory by hand into a temporary
tar file, so they know they are properly backed up before going forward.
Its important to note that all the project sites are subdirectories of
/www/jakarta.apache.org/commons, I sometimes wish this were not the case
and that the toplevel could be updated without any risk to the contents
of those subdirectories, which would be the case if they existed within
separate dorectories from the top level site.

> Do we want "commons-site-generate" and "commons-site-deploy" instead?

I'd rather stick to the defaults as much as possible instead of
customizing the goal name being called, there is still room to customize
in maven.xml via overloading, pre-goal and post-goal tags.

> Will this publish the sandbox as well, or do I do that independently?

No, there is a separate sandbox-build projects for the sandbox at this time.

Just for clarification, this only rebuilds the top level site, its upto
each project to keep their site uptodate by running 'maven site' in
thier project directory.

-Mark