commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Serialization redux
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:13:53 GMT

Mark R. Diggory wrote:

>> [phil]
>>
>>> * Either drop or customize serialization for all classes in the
>>> univariate package (other than StatisticalSummaryValues),
>>> especially those in the moment subpackage. Default serialization
>>> ties us to the current physical implementation, which may well
>>> change as we optimize implementations.  For example,
>>> SummaryStatisticsImpl currently holds a (redundant) private field
>>> n. Removing this field after release would break backward
>>> serialization compatability. I will probably eliminate this field
>>> before release, but this is the kind of thing that makes me want to
>>> be conservative about serialization.  My vote would be to release
>>> 1.0 without serialization support for these classes.

Not neccessarily, if you provided an alternate implementation (say use
the "n" found in the Sum object) then your new version would simply not
set the n field because it doesn't exist in this version, the new
version of SummaryStatisticsImpl's getN() would draw the value from the
instance of Sum instead. This is why using getters/setters to access
values is recommended so often in java.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory