commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] where to cite references (was RE: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/math/src/java/org/apache/commons/math/stat/univariate/moment Kurtosis.java Skewness.java)
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:21:33 GMT
Nightly update tends to be frowned upon because usually the site
documentation is tied to a specific release. I think the Maven folks are
working on a means to have older versions of docs archived so that they
can be accessed.

The issue is one of referential integrity. Say we release javadoc for
version 1.0 and have user doc on the math site that it links to. Then
(lets say) we update the doc on the site such that a page is removed.
Now there are versions of the javadoc out in the wild that point to a
dead link. So, linking in such a way is very restrictive to our being
able to update the user guide.

Now, I think the user guide is not that large that it couldn't be
distributed on combination with the javadoc, then the javadoc references
could be based on relative linking to the local copy of the userdoc.

Ultimately we are trying to resolve the fact that we can't use xdoc in
such a way as to embed it into javadoc directly. Would we even want to?!
I think its best if we maintain a parallel xdoc structure to the javadoc
package structure and distribute them together as one package that is
relatively linked. This really just means packaging up portions of the
site docs such that they are expanded from the tar file and that they
can still be navigated in the local file system in a browser

-Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center