commons-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Dalquist <edalqu...@unicon.net>
Subject Re: [codec-multipart] Who's In Charge
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:25:30 GMT
Sorry about that last reply being to the wrong email.

Thinking more about the structure of the Encoder and Decoder interfaces
I need to discuss what I see as the requirements on a multipart encoder
with you or someone else who is more familiar with the codec package and
get your options.

The basic idea is you have a Part interface. From that there is a
StringPart and a FilePart.
The MultipartEncoder would need to take an array of Parts and encode
them into a multipart message. One big difference is because of the
possible size of a multipart message the preferred way to get the output
of the encoder would be via an InputStream. This would allow the message
to be constructed on the fly and written to the caller. The caller could
then write the data directly out to whatever needs it, keeping memory
usage down to a minimum. I'm not sure how this method of encoding would
be handled by the current Encoder interface.
Also for decoding the opposite would be true. The decoder would need to
read it's data from an InputStream and return an array of parts. The
decoder would provide the option for file data to be written to a user
specified temp directory so the only data stored in the Part objects
would be a reference to the temp file via a File object.

Let me know what you think of this.

-Eric Dalquist