commons-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Dalquist <edalqu...@unicon.net>
Subject Re: [codec-multipart] Who's In Charge
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:54:07 GMT
Well I'm not very familiar with the codec project (just went and looked
over the web page). I guess this depends on your definition of what a
codec is. The multipart encoding project is mainly useful for a java
based web browser to a program that needs to emulate such activity. It
allows a set of files and name/value pairs to be encoded according to
RFC2388 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2388.html). It does take a set of
data and encode it in a standard way and actually uses the binary and
string encoder/decoder classes from the codec project. A similar decoder
could be easily written and may actually be of interest to the
FileUpload commons project as they are already decoding
multipart/form-data to parse out files uploaded via a HTML form. I know
this isn't much of a proposal but I do see a use for a multipart
encoder/decoder library since there isn't really much available at the
current time and of all the projects codec is the best fit for the
function of the library.

-Eric Dalquist