commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From bugzi...@apache.org
Subject DO NOT REPLY [Bug 29772] - DateLocaleConverter does NOT return a default value if a conversion error occurs
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:12:18 GMT
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, BUT PLEASE POST YOUR BUG 
RELATED COMMENTS THROUGH THE WEB INTERFACE AVAILABLE AT
<http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=29772>.
ANY REPLY MADE TO THIS MESSAGE WILL NOT BE COLLECTED AND 
INSERTED IN THE BUG DATABASE.

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=29772

DateLocaleConverter does NOT return a default value if a conversion error occurs





------- Additional Comments From niallp@apache.org  2004-07-08 11:12 -------
I've found a problem related to JDK 1.4 while trying to develop a Unit Test for 
DateLocaleConverter to see whether I experience the kind of problem you were 
describing.

It seems that SimpleDateFormat with a constructor of a localized pattern and 
Locale doesn't work - it throws an IllegalArgumentException. This happened in 
all versions of JDK 1.4 I tried (1.4.0_01, 1.4.2_01 and 1.4.2_05) including the 
latest. However using JDK 1.3.1_04 everything worked fine.

The problem code is in the getFormatter(pattern, locale) method with the 
following code:

SimpleDateFormat format = new SimpleDateFormat(pattern, locale);

The problem can be re-created if the default locale is Locale.US and this 
method is called with a pattern of "t MMMM uuuu" and a locale of Locale.GERMAN, 
then the following exception is generated:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal pattern character 't'
    at java.text.SimpleDateFormat.compile(SimpleDateFormat.java:675)
    at java.text.SimpleDateFormat.initialize(SimpleDateFormat.java:494)
    at java.text.SimpleDateFormat.<init>(SimpleDateFormat.java:443)

You don't actually see this exception as the convert() method "swallows" it and 
returns the "default" value.

I am still looking to see if I can find a work around, but haven't so far. I 
checked Sun's bug database but couldn't see anything that resembled it, so I 
have posted this as a bug there. The automated response to that bug said:

"Your report has been assigned an internal review ID of: 285201. This review ID 
is NOT visible on the "Java Developer Connection" (JDC). We currently have a 
three week response time for responding to Bug Reports."

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is the same issue as this bug or a different one.

Niall

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: commons-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message