commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [math] where to cite references (was RE: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/math/src/java/org/apache/commons/math/stat/univariate/moment Kurtosis.java Skewness.java)
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:23:00 GMT
--- brent@worden.org wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:50:06 -0400, "Phil Steitz" wrote:
>
> > Then we should significantly change the content of the web site --
> > eliminating most of the maven reports.  We will also need a way to
> > acknowledge contributors in a timely way and to maintain an
> up-to-date
> > task list.  It is much simpler, IMHO, to use maven to do all of this
> > (actually a good bit of the value proposition for using maven at
> all).
> >  Given volunteer time constraints, I would prefer to keep things as
> > simple and automated as possible.
> >
> > Phil
>
> I agree.

Not being a Maven, well, maven, I am not aware of all the things it does.  I am
certainly not advocating that we waste volunteer resources on manually
performing tasks that are currently automated (believe it or not, a classmate
of mine actually had to work on a project during an engineering co-op
assignment performing lab measurements that they used to have a machine to
do!).

> commons-collections uses Maven to generate several versions of their
> javadocs using various CVS tags.  I think we should incorporate this
> into our Maven build if we want several javadoc editions accessible at
> the same time.
>
> For the user guide, I think a similar approach that capitalizes on CVS
> tags could be used to generate several editions of the guide.

That sounds like a great idea, assuming we move ahead with having more than one
version of the documentation.

> In addition to the benefits Phil mentioned, having Maven generate all
> the documentation allows for any documentation modification, in either
> a past version or present version, to be uploaded to the website in a
> very easy and timely manner.

I like the sound of that!

Al