commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [codec-multipart] Who's In Charge
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:54:58 GMT
On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 17:09, Eric Dalquist wrote:
> I don't see plugability as being a requirement. A streaming
> encoder/decoder is a larger requirement as the data being encoded into a

This is ugly too and we still have not come up with the final verdict
yet but take a look here and let us know if this is within the ballpark
of a streaming codec:

http://incubator.apache.org/directory/subprojects/snickers/codec-stateful/index.html

> multipart message could be quite large and forcing the user to store it
> in memory wouldn't be very nice.

That's a problem we had especially where DoS attacks are concerned with
servers using codecs that process the substrate in one bite.

I think Gary is right about reviving this discussion.  There was also
another good fellow named Brett who was also involved perhaps he can
join us as well.

Also there was some commentary on whether or not there is a need to
differentiate between encoders and decoders.  I tried finding the email
regarding this but could not - if anyone has better luck let us know.

Alex