commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [BETWIXT] Array of bytes anyone?
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:08:56 GMT

On 15 Jul 2004, at 09:16, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> "Inger, Matthew" <Inger@Synygy.com> writes:
>
>> If you're going to put something like <binary>, I would encourage
>> you to put an encoding style there:
>
>> <foo>
>>  <bar encoding="base64">...</bar>
>> </foo>
>
>> This would give people other methods of encoding in the future.  As
>> for the mapping, I think something like:
>
> That's a nice idea. I'm a little unsure about introducing a fixed
> dependency on commons codec, though.

yep.

one of the things that needs to be worked out is whether we'll go for
an optional directory for extra dependencies or allow the core
dependencies to expand. (i'd like to add support for lang enums so this
is a more general problem). so far, i've been thinking in terms of
adding an optional directory (but i could be convinced the other way).
in general, minimizing the core dependencies is a good thing.

> But we could make the "encoding" attribute optional and pass it
> through to the Converter which might use it to select an encoding.
>
> Robert, what do you think?

that's what the flavour parameter passed into the converter is intended
for :)

the idea is that an optional flavour attribute would be passed through
from the dot betwixt file to the converter. in the case of an encoding
converter, this could be an encoding, for a java.util.Date converter,
this might be something like 'day' or 'date-time'. users with custom
converters would be free to pass whatever they needed through to their
converters.

- robert