commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vfs][all]maven generated build file and conditional compilation
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:37:52 GMT
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004, Mario Ivankovits <imario@apache.org> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>>>Is it really needed to use "maven ant" to regenearate the
>>>build.xml?
>>>

>>Given that Gump can successfully build with Maven now[1], this
>>shouldn't be a reason to keep it around - if anybody could take the
>>time to adapt vfs' Gump descriptor, that is.
>
> vfs already successfully build with maven

using Ant.

If you want to keep it that way, there isn't anything you'd need to
change - but you have to keep the vanilla Ant build file around.

> What should be adapted in the gump descriptor? (I guess you mean the
> gump.xml file)

gump.xml is the descriptor generated by "maven gump" IIRC.  Since
Gump's support for Maven as a build tool is rather new, there probably
is no automated way to generate a Gump descriptor from project.xml
yet.

Take a look at the Gump descriptor of commons-id[1] to see how it
would look with Maven instead of Ant.  I assume you'd just have to
select the "correct" goal and a transition was easy.

BTW, there is no reason to keep the descriptor outside of Gump's CVS
module since all Apache committers have access to Gump.  The reason it
is outside of Gump's module now IIRC is that it is generated and not
hand-maintained and thus should be kept in sync with project.xml -
which is easier if both are at the same place.

Stefan

Footnotes:
[1]  look for <project name="commons-id"> in
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/gump/project/jakarta-commons-sandbox.xml?view=markup>