commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sandor Murakozi <sandor.murak...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: [betwixt] Using interfaces as property types/ in collect
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:14:12 GMT
hi robert,

I use the source that can be downloaded as daily build.
Unfortunately I'm behind an "uber-secure" firewall, so I
can't acces the rep. directly. I know that I could use
CVSGrab, or something, but it was easier. I guess it is the
HEAD, but you know it better...

BR,
don

robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk>
írta:

> hi don
>
> there is limited support for interfaces in betwixt but
it's not a
> completely solved issue.
>
> are you using the REFACTORING branch or HEAD?
>
> - robert
>
> On 3 Jun 2004, at 18:45, Sandor Murakozi wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We use betwixt in our project, but we found a problem which
> > we couldn't solve with the actual implementation:
> >
> > When a property is an interface type then the actual class
> > of the property instance is not saved to the xml -> when I
> > read it back the reader won't be able to instantiate it.
> > The same problem occurs if want a collection of interfaces.
> >
> > I've checked the docs and the mailing lists, and seen that
> > some other guys has the same problem.
> >
> > I have 2 questions:
> >
> > 1. Is this problem already solved somehow? If it is, how?
> >
> > 2. If it isn't I have a proposal:
> >
> > As a workaround I've implemented a subclass of
> > XMLIntrospector that saves the actual class as a property of
> > the element. A BeanCreator is able to create instances from
> > this representation, so if you add it to the bean creator
> > chain it solves both problems.
> >
> > The functionality is working, but it still lacks some
> > polishing and documenting. If you are interested in it I can
> > finish it, and contribute it to the project.
> >
> > The only ugly thing that my introspector contains a big copy
> > pasted method from the original one, so some refactoring
> > would be desirable in both classes.
> >
> > Should I work on it and send a patch with the finished
version?

commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org