commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [lang] [math] org.apache.commons.lang.math.Fraction class
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 02:08:48 GMT

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> > One thing that we might want to consider, given the magnitude of the
> > changes, is deprecating this in [lang] and moving it to [math].  That
> > way, among other things, the (better) continued fraction
> > implementation in [math] could be used in getFraction(double).  The
> > improved gcd and checked integer arithmetic methods in the patch might
> > also make good additions to o.a.c.math.MathUtils.
> >
> > Phil

+1 to this too. Deprecate in 2.1, remove in 3.0.

I think Fraction will be better served by being in Math where it can
combine with other code, than in Lang. I don't think there are many
examples where Fraction will be of use but not other Math things, only an
educational piece of code where majority of the maths in Math is too
complex.

Hen