commons-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Scott Ananian" <csc...@cscott.net>
Subject Re: [lang] [math] org.apache.commons.lang.math.Fraction class
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:01:27 GMT
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> I had a 5 second look yesterday, and realised how big the change is. My
> immediate concern is that the Fraction class has lost its final status,
> making it less immutable.

The idea is to remove the deprecated methods in some future version of
lang; at which point Fraction can be made final again (and BadFraction
completely disappears).  It would be harder to purge BadFraction if its
code is mixed willy-nilly with the 'real' Fraction code.

The constructor for Fraction is package-private (or should be!) so no one
outside the lang package can create a subclass in any case.

> Also, I wasn't sure what 'relatively prime' actually meant. Its probably too
> mathematical for the target audience in [lang].

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22relatively%20prime%22&btnI=yes

It just means that the gcd(x,y)=1, or (equivalently) that the fraction is
"simplified".  I'll be glad to add that to the javadoc.

> Finally, I believe that [lang] is the right place for these (including
> BigFraction). They represent missing parts of the JDK, so [lang] is
> appropriate.

ok.
 --scott

Waco, Texas nuclear AP kibo Treasury EZLN MI5 Minister UKUSA corporate globalization
Bush President atomic Rijndael assassinate Qaddafi affinity group
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )