commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Inger, Matthew" <In...@Synygy.com>
Subject RE: [vfs][all][poll]regular expression library or jdk1.4 as minim um requirement
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:23:38 GMT
Again, you use a common syntax, which is translated to the appropriate
syntax for the implementation.  If some specific feature of the common
syntax is not supported in the implementation, then your RE will fail to
translate, and should throw some sort of exception.  Doesn't seem too
difficult to deal with IMHO.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rami Ojares [mailto:rami.ojares@elisa.fi]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 8:36 PM
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: [vfs][all][poll]regular expression library or jdk1.4 as
minimum requirement

> Since the whole point of the VFS discussion appears to be to support
> users who aren't using J2SE 1.4, all you have to do is use the syntax
> subset shared by Perl5 and java.util.regex, which is rather rich and
> useful.  Anyway, that's my take given my understanding of what's being
> discussed.

Ok.
I am using \Q \E for quoting segments that should not be considered regexes.
Then I use ((?<!^)|[^/])\\Q**\\E((?!$)|[^/]) construct when looking for
illegal patterns. (this means you can only have 2 stars in a row if they
are delimited by
- start of pattern OR slash
AND
- end of pattern OR slash
Do these things work in all different regex flavors?
And if not then how can I do it otherwise?

- rami