commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Validator] Ted Husted as Committer
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:09:11 GMT

On 7 Jun 2004, at 04:22, David Graham wrote:

> --- robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> but please don't roll a release before the upcoming beanutils
>> dependency hell fix is released. this will allow the problematic
>> validator dependency on commons collections to be removed by upgrading
>> to the next beanutils release.
>
> Actually, the removal of collections classes from validator will take a
> bit longer.  We still have protected FastHashMap variables that need
> to be
> replaced with Maps.

that will probably not be necessary :)

the collections packaged FashHashMap and it's dependencies are binary
compatible (in 2.x and 3.x collections - actually, they are identical)
and will be included as part of the next beanutils release.

beanutils, validator and digester are in similar positions (and i
suspect from craig's comments earlier that struts is also) they need
the FastHashMap class (at least so that it can be deprecated) but they
don't need the other classes which have changed. so, those classes they
need will be included as part of the beanutils distribution.

therefore, it will be possible to remove the collections dependency by
upgrading to the upcoming beanutils. this will allow FastHashMap to be
repackaged or removed (as appropriate) in due course after deprecation.

- robert