commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [betwixt] Writing Map entries issue
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:00:36 GMT
On 2 Jun 2004, at 22:27, Inger, Matthew wrote:

> PS:  This is not that big of a deal to me, as i'm using betwixt
> in conjunction with XMLUnit to do regression testing.  The basic
> thrust of what i'm doing:
>
> 1.  Write control object to XML file using betwixt
> 2.  Write test object to XML using betwixt
> 3.  Compare the control and test object XML using XMLUnit,
>     allowing exclusions of differences based on XPath expressions

cool

> So, as long as the map writing is consistent, it doesn't affect
> what i'm doing, but fir betwixt, as a product, I think that issue (and
> the
> issue
> of subclasses in general) has to be addressed at some point.  By
> subclasses
> I mean:
>
>    1.  properties which have an abstract type, or return a different
>        actual class than the declared type.

+1

(for reasons i don't quite remember) this one is know as the derived
beans problem.

>    2.  Secondly, the inheritance issue, which you and i have been
> discussing.
>
> Perhaps it would be possible that if any object has a different actual
> type
> than what the property is declared a (Object is assumed for things like
> Map.Entry), then a "class" attribute is added:
>
> <HashMap>
>  <entry>
>   <key class="java.lang.String">6</key>
>   <entry class="com.someone.MyBean">...</entry>
>  </entry>
> </HashMap>
>
> a relatively clean approach IMHO.  If these are not addressed, i don't
> see
> the read functionality being of much use for complex beans.

the derived bean problem is one of the reasons why the older read
design (which HEAD has) needed to be replaced. (it doesn't cope very
well with changes of type at runtime.)

added support for derived beans to the refactoring branch should be
pretty easy (i can give good instructions) and it was one of things i
would have implemented by now (were it not for the fact that other
components need urgent attention). if you'd like to volunteer to give
this one a shot, i'd be very grateful :)

- robert