commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [all] site generation
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:08:52 GMT

Henri Yandell wrote:

> I'd be surprised if anyone is using Maven on minotaur. It's a FreeBSD
> machine without Java as far as I know.
>
> That said, I see 10 people with ~/.maven, so it's possible somehow. Mark
> Diggory is one, Mark?

Guilty as charged. But as I said in my last reply, I'm not really using
it and it can go away.

Sharing a Maven install could turn into a management nightmare, its an
interesting usecase though, I wonder if the Maven developers have placed
any thought into it?

> As maven is pretty cpu intensive, I'd imagine that infrastructure would be
> very against us running it on minotaur. Apache websites and cvs server
> would be hurt by it (email is a different machine).

Sounds like we're on the same wavelength

> Usually you run Maven locally and upload the site manually. I'm not sure
> anyone is running a cron for it, and I'd recommend not doing so because
> the published site ends up in line with CVS and not with your latest
> stable release. User's then get very confused.
>
> That said, some public-key juggling could let you build locally and
> upload/rsync frequently, or maybe one of the other Apache boxes could be
> used as a build manager.

Yes, I've got ssh keys in place that get me onto minotaur, all my
generation is local and uploaded.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory