commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <>
Subject Re: [vfs] final usage
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:18:51 GMT
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Mario Ivankovits wrote:
>> There is a performance aspect when using "final" often - the jvm can
>> aggressive optimize (whatever that means), but IMHO this was not the
>> (only) indention of the original authors.
> I have yet to see a convincing benchmark proving the performance
> argument, the last time I checked I wasn't able to notice a difference
> over 1000000 method calls on virtual and final methods.

Using the "whatever that means" addition i wanted to express that i do
not relly think there is a performance gain - and i never used it for
this case - e.g. the parameter passing is only a minimum a program-flow
does. And maybe the hotspot compiler already inlines some sort of
methods if called e.g. in an loop.

But using the "final" keyword of OO design is a good practice.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message