commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vfs][all][poll][RESULT] regular expression library or jdk1.4 as minimum requirement
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:51:26 GMT
Gary Gregory wrote:
> I am personally against this kind of super fine slicing and dicing. :-(
>
> Our build already has to copy around, put on classpaths for unit tests,
> distribute, etc, ten (10) apache jars, now you're telling me that one of
> these is going to blow up into SEVEN?! This is not progress for us.

Not progress for you, but maybe progress for others.   I think I read that
ORO is still going to build an "all" jar which includes everything, so it
shouldn't make a difference.

For every person who wants a library to involve one and only one jar, there
is another who wants to be able to pick and choose from smaller jars to
decrease the overall size of their applicable bundle.

I'm not sure which side I'm on, but I've heard people from both sides
complain
pretty loudly, so I think the best thing is to try and satisfy both,
which is what
seems to be happening here.