commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [lang] [math] org.apache.commons.lang.math.Fraction class
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:59:46 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:

>From: "Henri Yandell" <bayard@generationjava.com>
>

>>I think Fraction will be better served by being in Math where it can
>>combine with other code, than in Lang. I don't think there are many
>>examples where Fraction will be of use but not other Math things, only an
>>educational piece of code where majority of the maths in Math is too
>>complex.
>>

>I agree that [math] is the best home for solving these problems fully,
>however I can't help feel that Fraction is a class that should be in the JDK
>and fits in [lang] scope. So, [lang] gets a (fixed) Fraction class, while
>[math] gets Ratio/BigFraction/Fraction/... whatever is appropriate.
>
>Stephen

This makes sense only if there is always a 1 to 1 mapping between
o.a.c.lang and java.lang, meaning, somehow the contents we have in our
lang represent things we would like to see in java.lang someday (whether
truly plausable or not). I'm not convinced this is possible, there are
too much content in java.lang that overlaps with other commons subprojects.

As well, I consider "java.lang" is really a poorly named and poorly
defined package in the first place, a kind of "catchall" for initial
object hierarchy of Java (similarly, java.util is a poorly named
"catchall" for the initial datastructures and collections) . I think
there should have been a java.math package that housed Math, Number ...
plus java.util.Random .... This would have been the home for something
like Fraction in my little fantasy world.

Either way, I think Math would be glad to support Fraction in the Math
subproject if concensus proves it wanted.

And don't misenterpret my opinion, +1 on patching it even if it stays
where it is.

-Mark