commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Zeigermann <ozeigerm...@apache.org>
Subject [Transaction]: Anyone intersted in contributing?
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:56:43 GMT
Folks!

I have just finished what might be called my "first sketch" of a
transaction package. In order to make this a "real" project I need
people who would like to contribute!

It includes locks, transactional maps (both pessimistic and optimistic)
and a file section including a transactional wrapper to the file system
and a fail safe persistent file sequence.

What may be missing are preference locks, more map wrapper
implementations with other strategies/isolation levels, a deadlock
detection for the locking, etc.

The motivation for the move to start this package was to make code from
the Slide project more genrally available. On one side others may find
it useful and on the other side maybe someone else would like to contribute.

I am for sure not "mister transaction", so what can be found there
merely is a starting point. I am sure there must be lots of people doing
better than / different from what I have done!

Maybe this just isn't interesting? I disagree! Possible use cases range
from transactional maps / caches in J2EE environment (there already is a
tiny bit of (bad) code that plugs the map into a XA transaction using
JCA and even a full configuration for JBoss) to your everyday work.
Imagine a Swing client application where you do complex stuff (maybe
talking to one or more servers) and the user is allowed to cancel the
whole operation. Or it might be needed to be canceled because of errors.
Now image all the results have been stored in a transactional map, you
simple do a rollback on errors and a commit upon success. It will even
be possible to have as much threads as you like to work on that map each
of them totally unaware of the other (at least until a commit).

OK, this was long! Sorry for that...

So, anyone?

Cheers,
Oliver