commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [lang] [math] org.apache.commons.lang.math.Fraction class
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:23:57 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

> One thing that we might want to consider, given the magnitude of the
> changes, is deprecating this in [lang] and moving it to [math].  That
> way, among other things, the (better) continued fraction
> implementation in [math] could be used in getFraction(double).  The
> improved gcd and checked integer arithmetic methods in the patch might
> also make good additions to o.a.c.math.MathUtils.
>
> Phil

+1 On this, Fractions and Ratios should be managed by those who are
aware of the numerical issues. While I think numerical comparators like
min/max can hang out in lang, I really do think higher order numerical
objects such as fraction are better housed and maintained by Math folks.
Chances are, if your using Fractions and Ratio's you want other Math
features as well.

-Mark