commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Oxspring <roxspr...@imapmail.org>
Subject Re: [id] util package
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:15:06 GMT
(haven't studied [id] too hard so forgive me if I'm jumping in with
potential nonsense)

Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> So two solutions:
> 1) Create one package scoped utils class in [id] with just the relevant
> methods on it.
>
> 2) Produce two multiple files - id-all, id-uuid and id-simple, the first two
> having a codec dependency.

Why do compiletime and runtime dependancies have to be blurred?  Sure
the [id] project requires [codec] to compile for the uuid part but if
people want to download and run just the simple stuff, they don't need
codec.  [codec] becomes an optional dependancy that is required only
when people try to load a class that uses it - obviously a docs issue is
created but a simple FAQ should sort it.  Ant ran it's optional.jar this
way for ages and it was pretty managable, at least while the number of
dependancies was low.

Personally, I'd favour a single jar with an optional dependancy but its
just another option in the cut'n'paste vs deep depencanies compromise -
pleasing everyone is always going to be a struggle.

Either way, I'd avoid creating id-all.jar as having one jar containing a
superset of another in the same release is confusing (at least to me)
and opens the door to classpath hell.

Hope that helps,

Rob