commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <sma...@lfjr.net>
Subject Re: [configuration] DOM vs DOM4J
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:05:34 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Taking Paul's comment into account, there seems not to be a real sufficient solution.
DOCConfiguration is quite nice for JDK >= 1.4, since no additional dependency is generated.
Therefore I vote in first place for the DOMConfiguration, but it might be good to have DOM4JConfiguration
in e.g. commons-configuration-optional around and the possibility to tell the "core" to use
this implementation.

> Comments?

DOMConfiguration is even nice for JDK 1.3 since most server
environnements under this version provide the standard XML APIs. I don't
think [configuration] is performance critical enough to justify the use
of an additional dependency, and there are other possible optimizations
if a better implementation is really needed (for example the properties
could be stored only once in the BaseConfiguration and the DOM parser
could be dropped for a SAX parser).

I tend to prefer a complete removal of the DOM4J classes to cut down the
maintenance burden.

Emmanuel Bourg