commons-dev mailing list archives

From commons-...@jakarta.apache.org
Subject [Jakarta Commons Wiki] New: MutableNumbers
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:08:24 GMT
   Date: 2004-06-03T07:08:24
   Editor: 66.167.119.196 <>
   Wiki: Jakarta Commons Wiki
   Page: MutableNumbers

   adding info on mutable numbers

New Page:

There have been a few threads about mutable numbers and I'll try to summarize the ideas.

'''1) What package/project should these classes go in?'''

My initial thought was lang.math, but if we create MutableByte, MutableString, or others
non-numeric types, this isn't a good fit.  lang.mutable may be a better fit.

'''2) What type of naming scheme should we use?'''

MutableInteger vs. MInteger vs. IntegerHolder vs. ?

'''3) Comparision between my (matth) initial implementation vs. Geronimos'''

I can't find the Mutable classes in Geronimo anymore.  Perhaps they were removed?

One of the primary differences I noted was that the Geromino classes containeed additional
methods such add add(int), subtract(int), and things like that.  I find this similar to
Henri's suggestion that MutableString contain StringUtils-like methods (split(), capitalize(),
etc).