commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: [testutils] Is there any commons area for generic test code?
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:57:08 GMT
On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 16:06, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> We probably should check for some overlap.
> I have some Exception test stuff that could also come in handy.
> It allows you to test classloader exceptions (except NoClassDefFound,
> still have to figure that one out..). To get it into commons I need to
> make it more usable for others except myself however :)
>
> Mvgr,
> Martin
>
> On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 21:39, Pete Gieser wrote:
> > I may have missed it, but I wanted to mention that there exists
> > a sourceforge project that may have some overlap.
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/junit-addons
> >
> > FWIW.
> >
> > Pete

This is good stuff and pretty much in line with what I was thinking.
There is a lot of overlap certainly.  I actually saw this project
several times before.  Many of my utilities map closely to classes in
this project.  The Addons project admin inspired Bill Venners, who's
writings later influenced me.

The most important thing is to have a central place where all ASF
projects can add reusable test code to.  Uniqueness is not what I was
shooting for.  Let's be honest testing code is not the most exciting
topic in the world.  We just want to stop writing the same code over and
over for every new project.  So the key really is not to innovate
something new but to prevent duplication and enable ease of access for
other Apache projects to add their own two cents when they want.  There
are also other quality concerns.  I'm under the impression that a
commons sandbox project is more accessible to us as a community, more so
than a sf.net project.  If there is overlap between this project and
ours its not a big deal.

On the other hand, it would be nice if we could combine our efforts.  So
much of the code basically maps to his already with very minor
differences: we're solving for the same problems.  I'm sure we will be
replicating most of his efforts, however it does not seem like all that
much to do, these utilities are snippets of code at best.  Again nothing
worth overly analyzing but just doing.

Alex