commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [testutils] Is there any commons area for generic test code?
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 18:27:51 GMT
Thanks for the honest feedback Matthew.

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 12:23, matthew.hawthorne wrote:
> Alex Karasulu wrote:
> > Is there a place where we can collect and localize utility methods and
> > classes used for unit testing?  I have not found anything yet.
> >
> > Is it even worth doing this?
>
> The problem with a project like this is that the scope would be hard to
> define.  The only
> common  thing that I use in my tests are:
>
> -  java.util.Random to generate test data
>
> - extentions of junit.extensions.TestDecorator or
> junit.textui.ResultPrinter in order to
> do some debugging, such as printing when a test starts
>
> So I think it would be hard to get a nice group of test utils that feel
> like they
> truly belong together.

Yeah I don't have enough material myself that I could say was a coherent
group.  There is perhaps 100 lines or so of code I find myself writing
every time I start writing tests in a new project project.

> If you have commit access, as far as I know there is nothing stopping
> you from
> creating a new sandbox project and committing some of your ideas.  If
> you've got
> some cool things then I'm sure others would get interested.

Thanks for the tip.  I don't think I have enough material alone for it.
I think I wrote this email more as a feeler to see if others wanted a
place to put such utilities.  If 2 or more people besides myself respond
and they have stuff to put there then I'll take the plunge otherwise its
probably not worth it.

Thanks,
Alex