commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <>
Subject Re: [testutils][logging] after 1.0.4: unfinished business
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:14:48 GMT

On 21 Jun 2004, at 07:03, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Hi Robert,
> robert burrell donkin wrote on Sunday, June 20, 2004 11:19 PM:
>> when i was cutting 1.0.4, i proposed leaving some unresolved issues
>> until after the release. so, now seems like a good time to
>> get on top
>> of them.
>> please feel free to dive in and comment (that's why i've left space :)
>> memory log
>> ----------
>> i quite like this idea but it's not really a major feature. i'm
>> inclined to try to keep the core jar small by creating
>> another optional
>> jar called loggers containing loggers which are less likely
>> to be used.
>> the distribution would contain both jars. maybe avalon log could be
>> moved there too.
> Meanwhile I proposed this class also to Alex' latest commons-testutils
> effort
> (
> msg43461.html), but since I have no commit rights, I cannot do much
> about.

you're still a developer (if not a committer) and by adding to the
debate you're are doing something :)

IMHO one of the hardest things about having responsibility for a
well-used, mature library is having to leave good stuff out when it's
in the best interests of the library.

> So I am not sure now, where to put this class in best place. If you
> have other additional loggers, commons-logging might be still the best
> idea, but otherwise the commons-testutils might also be appropriate.

i'd like to move the avalon log into the optional loggers package and
there's the servlet logger as well. IMHO that's probably enough but i'd
like to hear other people's thoughts on this one...

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message