commons-dev mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Hoschek <whosc...@lbl.gov>
Subject Re: [commons-collections] [Patch] ExtendedProperties
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:30:27 GMT
> > BTW, please don't deprecate ExtendedProperties and refer people to
> > future Commons-Configuration.
> > The Commons-Configuration complexity and their dependencies are a big
> > big mess for someone who simply and conveniently wants to read in
> some
> > configuration values. ExtendedProperties is ideal for such purposes:
> It
> > does the job in a single class and has zero dependencies.
>
> PropertiesConfiguration is no more complex than ExtendedProperties
> actually, the usage is quite similar if you decide not to use the
> ConfigurationFactory. In this case the dependencies are minimal,
> PropertiesConfiguration only relies on [collections] which you already
> use and [lang] which is a really basic and common dependency. Is this
> too much ?

Yes, it is too much!!

Many people just want to read some configuration values in an
expressive, convenient and straightforward manner, with as little
dependencies as possible (read: zero dependencies).
java.util.Properties is handy because it has zero dependencies
(unfortunately it is not expressive enough, which is why we are
talking). So folks are looking for something similar and
ExtendedProperties meets just that.

Consider writing a container or client side framework: Why impose
auxiliary and unnecessary dependencies and versions on third-party
users, or create additional mess with classloader issues? Just pull out
ExtendedProperties from commons-collections, rename class to
xyz.MyExtendedProperties (keeping copyright and license) and all works
fine without any hassle.

(In general, a problem with many smallish commons-xyz modules is that
for the comparatively little value they provide, they have
frighteningly many cross-dependencies. So one gains some value at the
cost of dependency and version hell, with overall may not be worth it)