commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [collections] new snapshot to ibiblio
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 13:05:53 GMT
On Thu, 13 May 2004, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:

> If you want to track *current* status, you really want to turn that
> over to GUMP, which will pull source for every project you depend
> upon, and build Geronimo and all dependents from source.

This is how it is supposed to be.

Unfortunately Gump still isn't able to build Maven based projects -
well, at least not without help of the Maven based project.  The way
Mavenized projects can work with Gump right now is that they provide
an additional vanilla Ant build file that is used by Gump.  All
commons projects do so for example.

Brett is working with Adam and the rest of the Gump team to help Gump
use Maven directly and in fact the current results are promising, just
not completely there yet.

> GUMP is the ASF's Continous Integration project, and will be adding
> (AIUI) testing,

Gump will run any Ant target you tell it to run.  In the future Gump
will run any Maven goal you want it to run.  So this may include unit
testing for example.
<http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/ant/test-ant/gump_work/build_ant_test-ant.html>
is Gump running Ant's tests for example.

> as well as the ability to freeze a given dependent to a released
> JAR.

This is something that we Gumpers try to avoid at all cost.  For
dependencies that are under active development, that is.

Stefan