commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: DBCP Contribution: Replace System.out calls with Commons Logging
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 13:58:29 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> The upcoming version 1.0.4 of commons-logging has an AvalonLogger
>> So we create an AvalonLogger around our component's logger, and pass
>> that to any object that uses commons-logging.
> I'm travelling and away from my CVS sources for [logging], but I'm
> pretty sure that the 1.0.4 code even auto-recognizes the availability
> of the Avalon logger like it does Log4J and JDK 1.4 logging.  If it
> doesn't, I'd be happy to implement that before a [logging] 1.0.4 release.

Craig, how does that work?  By that, I mean, Avalon uses an IoC model, so
how does the Commons Logger know which logger to use?  For example, I would
want DBCP to be using the logger defined for the database connection
component.  At present, we create an adapter between what DBCP expects
(PrintWriter) and the Avalon logger, but I'd very much like to see
full-fledged logging with levels.

	--- Noel