commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [collections] new snapshot to ibiblio
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 18:53:24 GMT
On May 13, 2004, at 8:39 PM, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> There is a convergence between the Gump Integration and this unstable
> repository which I hope is occurring, eventually, we hope that Gump
> will be used to produce a nightly build repository for projects, and
> that most projects will start taking advantage of this Continuous
> Integration for their development. I have been watching (lurking?) the
> Gump folks diligently working on this and I think its coming along.

I think that implying that Gump will be used by every project is a bit
ivory tower.  The reality is some projects simply don't want or need
continuous integration.  Also, Gump is not the only continuous
integration system in opensource.  I am very concerned that about
linking access to SNAPSHOTs to the use of a continuous integration
system.

> Until this is complete, the unstable repository is available for those
> who need to release unstable builds. Because it is on cvs.apache.org,
> it is not mirrored, nor does it endup at ibiblio. This unstable
> repository should not be utilized by non-apache developers,
> eventually, we may consider some form of security to restrict access
> to it.

This is a no go for geronimo.  There are 3 other projects outside of
apache that use geronimo snapshots and geronimo in return imports the
snapshots from these other projects in to the final assembly.  If
snapshot access were turned off, our entire build system would stop to
work.

-dain