commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Reilly" <tim.rei...@consultant.com>
Subject [id] util package
Date Sun, 30 May 2004 08:25:36 GMT
I've made a lot of changes to the UUID internals. I'm using byte[] now
instead of BigInteger for the internal data. I'm also using a class I found
in turbine called Bytes (it was deprecated as moved to o.a.c.lang, but I
didn't see it in lang.) On my local-dev I've moved the methods I need to the
package proposed below.
I've been considering the dependency on codec. The classes I'm using are
stable (not likely to change ever). After the lengthy discussions on
commons-dev regarding dependencies, sizes, etc .. I'm still in the camp that
has lots of disk space and bandwidth, but I'm also more aware that not
everyone agrees or has that luxury. Codec is tiny anyhow, but I've also
found I need the version of codec that exists in head (I need the Hex class'
check for invalid chars.) The package rename strategy seems pretty good ATM.

So I'd like to propose the following:
add a util package with the following structure + classes:

[Package] o.a.c.id.util
[Class]    o.a.c.id.util.Bytes.java
[Package] o.a.c.id.util.codec
[Class]    o.a.c.id.util.codec.BinaryDecoder.java
[Class]    o.a.c.id.util.codec.BinaryEncoder.java
[Class]    o.a.c.id.util.codec.Decoder.java
[Class]    o.a.c.id.util.codec.DecoderException.java
[Class]    o.a.c.id.util.codec.Encoder.java
[Class]    o.a.c.id.util.codec.EncoderException.java
[Package] o.a.c.id.util.codec.binary
[Class]    o.a.c.id.util.codec.binary.Hex.java
[Package] o.a.c.id.util.codec.binary.digest
[Class]    o.a.c.id.util.codec.digest.DigestUtils.java

Thoughts?

-TR