commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <>
Subject Re: [collections] Size and scope issues
Date Sun, 02 May 2004 19:55:28 GMT

On 24 Apr 2004, at 04:33, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> On Apr 22, 2004, at 2:40 PM, Michael Heuer wrote:
>>> Perhaps some of the classes in [collections] could be presented as a
>>> JSR
>>> for inclusion in the JDK at some later date.  That might cut the
>>> size of
>>> the jar some.  :)
>> All kidding aside, I like this idea.  How about starting by splitting
>> collections into, really common collections, and the rarely used
>> collections.
> A neat ideal, but perceptions of "really common" versus "rarely used"
> seem to be awfully personal.  Kinda reminds me of earlier commons-dev
> discussions trying to create a "commons core" JAR that included all of
> the "really common" commons JARs, and none of the others.  Needless to
> say, there was no consensus on what the contents should be :-).

i wonder whether it might be possible to separate out a core jar
containing just the basic interfaces and then split the implementations
into several themed jars. i still think that this should be in addition
to releasing a single jar containing everything, though.

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message